Any tips or advice for a first timer to Steamworks?
- Checkout every nook and cranny.
- Know that many people have curious hands, and it’s 100% okay (and normal) to politely push their hand away. If you don’t, you might have the uncomfortable moment of them thinking you are saying it’s “okay” to do more, then you may have to push away a mouth, rather then just a hand.
- Don’t be anxious or try to rush it, relax and enjoy yourself for as long as you’d like.
- For the Chicago location, I adore Thursday nights (Lights Out Night) and Sunday evenings… both around 8p to 11p. I will go Fri and Sat too, but I generally find more sober people on Thur / Sun, and while I don’t have a problem with people who aren’t sober, I find that people who aren’t trashed-out-of-their-gord seem to fuck / suck better :-)
- I often treat it like a “live” version of Manhunt / Adam 4 Adam. Expect to get rejected, and expect to reject people… it’s just how it goes.
- If possible, bring a veteran Steamworks attendee to show you the best spots at your local venue.
- Know that some ‘hot spots’ within a club (like, say, the sauna) will get really busy, then really empty, over and over again as the night goes on… so just because it’s dead (or busy) now doesn’t mean it will be again in 10 minutes.
- If you’re getting a room, ask for an extra towel (they might give you one, depends on if they are low on stock at that point) and keep it in your room as a backup towel or spooge rag.
- Some people wear flip-flops around the club. I don’t find this necessary, as I find the conditions of the club are generally very very clean and I haven’t yet had any issues in the years I’ve been attending.
- Know that if you don’t wear the standard “uniform” of Steamworks (nothing but a towel around the waist) and, instead, choose to wear a jock strap, pants, shirt, etc… you might get unwanted attention (or wanted attention, who knows!), but either way you’ll definitely get stares.
- Bring your own lube. You can buy some there, but you know your favorite lube and already have it on hand.
- Be comfortable getting a new towel from the front desk if yours is overly soggy from hot tub water / shower water / spooge / etc
- If you see a hot guy, approach him! Too often I’ve taken over half an hour to work up the wits to talk to a hot guy, only to find that he was wondering what was taking me so long!
- Bring lube if you would like, or cockrings (etc) - but don’t worry about condoms, there is a plethora provided on site (latex, both lubed and unlubed)
- Leave your lube (and other sundry sex items) in your locker or room. Walking around with a handful of assistance toys can be more clumsy then sexy.
- Always keep a condom with you. You never know when things will get sexy and you don’t want to interrupt the moment with a pause to grab a condom from somewhere nearby. Toss one under the elastic band that holds your key, this way you always have protection within arms reach no matter where you go.
That’s all I can think of right now, but if I think of more I’ll update this entry with my added tips! Thanks for the great question!